Sauvignon Blanc South Africa is pleased to announce the top 20 contenders in the 2020 Sauvignon Blanc SA Top 10 Competition, South Africa’s only competition exclusively devoted to Sauvignon Blanc. A total of 96 producers submitted 149 wines for this year’s competition, held under the auspices of Sauvignon Blanc SA, with the support of FNB.
The country’s diverse wine growing regions are well represented with several regions delivering more than one top-performing wine. The top 20 contenders show a good balance with eight wines from the 2020 vintage and ten from the 2019 vintage, reconfirming 2019 as an outstanding year for Sauvignon Blanc as well as the longevity potential of the cultivar. Some first-time finalists also make their mark, with the top 20 overall representing innovation and diversity in the styles of Sauvignon Blanc in South Africa.
In alphabetical order, the top 20 finalists are:
- Alvi’s Drift Sauvignon Blanc Reserve 2020
- Bon Courage The Gooseberry Bush Sauvignon Blanc 2020
- Cilmor Limited Edition Sauvignon Blanc 2019
- D’Aria The Wild Thing Sauvignon Blanc 2019
- Darling Cellars Gustus Sauvignon Blanc 2019
- De Grendel Sauvignon Blanc 2020
- Diemersdal Winter Ferment Sauvignon Blanc 2020
- Elgin Vintners Sauvignon Blanc 2019
- Ghost Corner Wild Ferment Sauvignon Blanc 2018
- Highlands Road Sauvignon Blanc White Reserve 2017
- Iona Elgin Highlands Wild Ferment Sauvignon Blanc 2019
- Kleine Zalze Family Reserve Sauvignon Blanc 2019
- Kleine Zalze Vineyard Selection Sauvignon Blanc 2019
- Ormonde Chip Off The Old Block Sauvignon Blanc 2019
- Paul Cluver Sauvignon Blanc 2019
- Spier 21 Gables Sauvignon Blanc 2020
- Stark-Condé Round Mountain Sauvignon Blanc 2019
- Stellenbosch Vineyards Southern View Sauvignon Blanc 2020
- Stellenrust Sauvignon Blanc 2020
- Zevenwacht 7even Sauvignon Blanc 2020
The judging panel comprised Dr Winifred Bowman, Cape Wine Master and convener of the panel, cellar master Charles Hopkins of De Grendel, wine judge and writer Fiona McDonald and winemaker Rudger van Wyk of Stark-Condé Wines. The panel also included protégé judges, Candice Barnes from Boekenhoutskloof, Kelsey Shungking from De Grendel and Victoria Davis from Glenelly.
Join the Top 10 celebration – even Nataniël will be there!
The Top 10 winners will be announced during the virtual Sauvignon Blanc SA Top 10 Awards on Wednesday 14 October 2020. All Sauvignon Blanc lovers are invited to join this online celebration of the best Sauvignon Blanc wines in the country on the website www.sauvignonblanc.com. An exciting time is promised with SA’s master storyteller Nataniël as guest artist. SA’s culinary sweetheart and celebrity chef Zola Nene will make everyone virtually feel at home as the evening’s master of ceremonies. During this event, guests will also be able to make a contribution to the Vinpro Foundation in support of a student in the wine industry.
The annual Sauvignon Blanc SA Technical Seminar will be presented as vlogs on the Sauvignon Blanc SA website during November with speakers focusing on technical aspects, including information on the Top 10. For more information or to become a member, visit www.sauvignonblanc.com or call 021 975 4440. Join the online conversation about the #SauvignonBlancSATop10 and tag Sauvignon Blanc SA on Twitter @SauvignonSA and on Facebook and Instagram as @sauvignonblancsa.